Search Engine Optimization and Keyword Research in 2017
Have you ever wondered how Google just seems to find answers to your queries? This is because Search Engine Optimization was done right for the companies that show up in the results.
What is Search Engine Optimization?
A search engine is a web tool that presents an aggregation of data for the topic you are searching. The data could be a mix of images, videos, and text. The objective of a search engine is to display the best possible results for any entry that you search for.
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the means of increasing quality and quantity of traffic to your website by being listed in the search engine result pages.
What is Keyword Research?
Keyword Research is the very crucial in search engine optimization. You can adopt a set of keywords to focus on, for your blog or website. When users are looking for content related to those keywords, the search engine results will point them to your website. The results depend on 200+ factors. And one of the key factors is keywords.
Top keyword research practices:
- Pick your calling: Start with a keyword that defines your business the best. The best way to find these seed keywords are by brainstorming and looking at your competitors.
- Employing keyword research tools: Google offers a tool called Google Keyword Planner to research about the best keywords for a topic. There are many other websites that help you identify seed keywords( keyword.io, lsigraph.com, wordstream etc). There’s even a new tool in beta testing that gives you a weighted score for keyword comparison.
- Adopting keyword metrics: You might see thousands of options when you sit down to research a particular keyword. Adopting metrics like Search Volume, Allintitle Count, User intent will help you understand the popularity of the keyword you’re trying to rank for.
- Keywords list segmented into groups: Categorize the list of keywords as per the subject and content of your web pages. This helps to get a clear idea of which keyword goes where and also makes for a great user experience.
- Lay out important keywords first: Try and attack the low hanging fruit first. Focusing on a well-researched keyword list to create content on your website is sure to deliver great results.
Now that you have accumulated a list of well-researched keywords, where can you use them for great search engine visibility?
Page title: Your keyword should appear in the page title so that it is in line with what the person is looking for in the search engines. But don’t overdo by stuffing alternate keywords also in there.
Headers: are like billboards for search engines. Choosing a right header with apt keywords will help segment out your content, and makes it easy for both the reader and search engine to understand.
Website body: keywords should appear naturally in your article/ content. However, don’t stuff keywords, those days are gone and search engines may penalize you for it.
Image alt texts, image file names and image captions: Alt texts are descriptions of images that help search engines understand and indexed them.Making sure to add image names and captions will help images from your website show up in results too.
However, these are basic tips and tricks that have been followed over the years. Here are some useful strategies that you should keep in mind for 2017 and beyond:
Super-fast website: Make sure the information on your website is up to date and take down render blocking scripts that slow your website down. This will ensure a fast loading website, much to the delight of the visitors to the site.
Mobile-friendly website: As we move to a more mobile friendly world, search engines take your websites mobile friendliness into account while ranking. You’ll lose out if you don’t have a mobile-friendly website, as more or more people browse websites on their mobile devices.
Longtail keywords: These are a group of words (three or four word phrases) that are extremely specific to service or product you are offering. Longtail keywords draw a high volume of traffic.
Secure your website: Switch from ‘http’ to ‘https’ to shield your website from malware and viruses.Search engines prefer websites that are secure.
If you are ready to “Turn Clicks Into Clients” with a personalized SEO marketing plan, contact Results Driven Marketing at (215) 393-8700!