Internet marketing via Search Engine Optimization (SEO) has been one of the standard methods of promoting businesses and products since indexed web search became mainstream in the 1990’s. Since that time, search algorithms have massively evolved, but no change is quite as notable to SEO methods as the rise of smartphones.
This is an easy concept to envision. Just think for a moment about yourself and your circle of friends. How many people do you know have and use their phone for everything but calling a person to talk? Comparatively, how many of them have a tablet or a laptop? And beyond that, how many of them sit at home in front of a PC calling up a search engine to ask it something, when they can just whip out their phone or tablet?
As use cases change, so do search engines (Google has been testing mobile indexing for quite some time now), and in response to search engine updates SEO techniques have to change.
In order to stay competitive, it is imperative that businesses in almost every field stay abreast of SEO trends. As new consumer technologies emerge, and updates to the search algorithms attempt to serve those emergent technologies, investing time and capital into dated, flawed SEO tactics can quickly prove wasteful.
To help your business stay on the right path for your Internet marketing strategy, here are five ways to take advantage of SEO in 2017:
- Maintain a Google My Business (GMB) Page. Results rankings are positively correlated for businesses with well-maintained GMB pages. And every single GMB page is hooked into industry specific searches on the Google map. Make sure to verify your page with Google. Encourage user reviews. And provide a good deal of supplementary content, like photos. All of this will have a direct impact in improving your business’ results on searches people do in your local service area – especially from their mobile phones.
- Have many links back to your website. Backlinks are a key element of SEO, and are still the most heavily correlated factor with high search ranking. This includes local query results, which still correlate mostly to the number of hyperlinks leading to a site. Avoid spammy backlinks and work hard to acquire quality authoritative backlinks.
- Make sure your content is solid. Aggressive SEO techniques sometimes involve creating as much content as possible for backlinks. While this might help your search results in the short-term, it makes for a terrible user experience, and modern search engines have ways to account for this. If your SEO plan is successful enough to lead users to your business, they should find content they want to engage with. Quality website design and development are a must for encouraging links back to your web presence.
- Leverage good keywords. Few queries relevant to your business are exactly alike. The way you think of your business is unlikely to have much at all to do with how the average consumer phrases a query about it. With research you can leverage the best keywords, as well as account for common permutations of similar queries. So, what’s the best way to gather data on how people actually talk about your business? That happens to lead us directly to the final point:
- Maintain an engaging social media presence. The need for active Social Media Marketing (SSM) is one of the biggest changes over the last decade for SEO. You never stop hearing about social media, and it’s for a reason: the more engaged consumers are online, the more mentions and links to your content you build up. An engaging presence also encourages users to submit comments and reviews related to your business, all of which contributes to your SEO plan.
If this seems like a lot to handle, well, that’s because it is! Backlinks especially are the backbone of any solid SEO plan, and they tie into each of the steps above. Good SEO isn’t about getting as many clicks as possible, it’s about getting the most efficient ROI as a direct result of your SEO approach. In short, it’s about turning clicks into clients. To learn more about how a SEO plan could help your business grow, let us help.
Our consulting services at Results Driven Marketing are a top to bottom Internet marketing solution, covering the five points above and much more, including (but not limited to!) content marketing such as blogging, business branding and website design, and Business Reputation Management services. To see what a tailored Internet marketing strategy can do for your business, contact us for a consultation today.